Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Bookshelf: And The Ass Saw The Angel

Over my holiday I read a book by Nick Cave which I got for Christmas from a friend. I had seen it on another friend's bookshelf, but never got around to loan it. Which is just as well, I hate returning (good) books to their owners. I read the Finnish edition, Kun aasintamma näki Herran enkelin.

Cave's writing is very fluid. The story drags in mud and ugly (very ugly) things, but the writing rolls on independent of its subject matter. I wouldn't recommend this to everybody, but it's very much worth checking out. It feels good to read, even if the portrayed proceedings make you feel ill. It's all about one setting and one overall feeling to it, which pull the novel together much in the way of some of my other favorites, like James Ellroy's American Tabloid. It's more about the way it's told than the story itself.

No comments: